Adjusting draughty double glazing

I've noticed there's a strong draught coming through one of our double glazed windows, between the opening light and the frame. It seems like the opener has been fitted in the wrong place so it doesn't close up tightly against the rubber seal/frame.

Picture here if it helps:

there any way to adjust these? I've had a look and it seems that the part of the hinge that fixes to the frame sits in a channel so can't be adjusted/moved. The only option I can see is to remove the hinge from the opener and refix closer to the outside face of the opener. But I'm worried that the new hole positions may be too close or partly overlap the old ones.

Any advice/experience appreciated.

(The windows were fitted before we bought the house and are long out of guarantee.)

Reply to
mike

We have a few that do that. The problem is basically down to the hinge wearing and becoming a bit "sloppy". On each hinge there is a pointy bit at the top of the bit fixed to the window - these are supposed to locate in matching lugs on the top of the other bit of the hinge. You will probably find if you open it to about 40 degrees, and twist the window such that you are pulling in the top of the frame in on one side, and then close it, it will go tight again. The tricky bit is getting both sides to engage at the same time. It can be done with a bit of "opening just enough" and twisting / pulling etc.

The proper cure is a new hinge. If they are like ours, then toolstation do some that match. Top hung friction hinge:

there are a choice of widths as well as lengths. You can see the pointy bit in the picture. Once the hinge gets sloppy enough to allow this to sit outside of its little hat, you get the gap.

Reply to
John Rumm

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

The pointy bit at the top of the window needs lubing; Vaseline is ideal. When they slide into place easily the window will shut properly.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Thanks for that John. Excellent info.

Reply to
mike

It's not getting near enough for Vaseline to make any difference, unfortunately.

Reply to
mike

Mr F's advice on lubrication may well help you slide the various bits about, but the basic problem is slop in the hinge mechanism. Also the design is such that once the window is shut with the pointy bit on the outside of its lug, no amount of pushing or pulling etc will get it back into location - you must do that bit with it partly open.

(I am assuming your hinges are the same as mine here obviously - but I expect from the symptom and photo they probably are).

Reply to
John Rumm