Adhesive for a knife

I have a very useful knife with a wooden (bamboo) handle, which SWMBO decided would benefit from being run through the dishwasher. Because of this, the handle has split (only a little) and the steel plug in the end (Maybe that's a pommel?) has dropped out. The adhesive on the plug looks remarkably like no more nails but I'd like to use something more robost and, if possible, soak something into the bamboo to stick the handle back together. (It's clearly two half-round sections with a hole down the middle and they've separated a bit but not warped or anything.) Any useful suggestions chaps?

Reply to
GMM

Araldite.

Reply to
stvlcnc43

Might work, but doesn't "soak" particularly well, even if warmed. I think I would look at plastic dissolved in solvent, perhaps one of the "hardeners" used for treating rotten wood (after killing the rot). How about clear nail varnish? You could "thin" that with acetone or nail varnish remover, to make it soak in better. Balsa cement works on the same principle. These won't stick so well to the metal, though. Perhaps glue the handle together first, then drill and fit the plug with Araldite.

Reply to
newshound