Adding insulation in attic

I put down fibreglass insulation - I think about 4in - in my attic several years ago between the joists, and then lay floorboards.

What is the best way of adding to the insulation now? I use the attic for storage.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

So do I - I suspect my 3 foot layer of cardboard boxes works pretty well.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

In message , Timothy Murphy writes

rigid boards fixed between or over the joists?

Reply to
chris French

That is my approach, an alternative is to use polystyrene sheets:

covered with some board so that you can walk on it.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Are these a fire hazard? Do they emit horrible fumes if catch fire? I remember something years ago about coving having similar problems - maybe newer stuff is treated?

Reply to
dave

this sounds exactly like my loft. Given you have a semi sealed space between the boards and the ceiling below with several inches of fibreglass in place, aided by the storage items themselves, is further insulation going to be cost effective?

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Indeed, that is what I was wondering. I wish there was a simple way of measuring the flow of heat through ceilings and walls ...

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Timothy Murphy saying something like:

If there's a gap between the top of the insulation and the floorboards (and there certainly will be by now) and the floorboards don't seal the gaps at the ends, any heat that leaks up through the existing insulation is simply going to escape out of the gaps via rising warm air and draughts. You could put down extra fibreglass insulation in the spaces outside the floor area, and make sure it blocks off the gap at the end, too. Short of lifting the floorboards, you're stuck for adding extra on top, unless you lay Kingspan /Celotex (cheapest would be 50mm of Aeroboard) down and lay 12mm ply on top of that for a walking surface.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon