Adding a thermal cutout to a 13amp plug?

Most storage heaters are more than 13 amp and are hard wired. If I run a 3kw fan heater for, say half an our with no thermostat, the plug/socket will get warm, but not dangerously so. The actual warm parts tend to be the internal fuse connections or the places where wires join the hardware in my experience. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

years ago, we came across some 5A 20mm fuses which had a resistance of 1 Ohm. There was a significant voltage drop across them at 4A.

Reply to
charles

strangely enough fuses work by melting at slightly above rated current.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and the relevance? 4A drawn through a %A fuse.

Reply to
charles

there needs to be resistance and power loss, and heat, to ensure it blows on schedule

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

:-)

Reply to
ARW

I found two 2g sockets in a flat (if you can call them flats) that had no earth when a socket was inserted..

On stripdown it showed that the earth pin on the socket was nowhere near the sockets earth "spring terminals"

Reply to
ARW

I bought mine from Screwfix, they look OK, not like in that video in any way. I'd *guess* that why the extension lead fuse blows rather than the one in the buzzbox's plug is something to with the length of the extension lead.

Reply to
Chris Bacon