Adding a network socket

Thanks for the suggestions of the doublers Tim & Bob, we aren't using Gigabit (at least yet), so we only need 2 pairs in the CAT5. We could split off two pairs...

...but there's no network socket in this new location to split! :-(

Looks like it'll be new trunking, unless a kind soul can point me in the direction of something to suitably insulate the CAT5 inside the 16x25?

Bob, you mentioned some "mains grade flexible trunking".. Do you have a link with a suitable product? I don't remember seeing this before?

Thanks for the pointer to this in the regs from your earlier message, my brother has a copy of these I'll ask to take a look at today.

Reply to
Den Phillips

Suppose all manner of adverse things could happen.

We've just had a bloody squirrel gnaw through some outside grade CAT5 cable:!......

Reply to
tony sayer

I thought that was an issue even for 100baseT Bob?

Summat about the spacing between adjacent ccts being insufficient when not in a separate sheath?

Of course the specs and what-you-can-get-away-with are rarely the same thing ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

one place, although that's 10 metres! It gives you the idea; I'm sure you can source some locally now you know what it's like.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh, I agree. But the original question was 'ignoring signal quality' to some extent so I stuck with that!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Setting aside legality & good practice, I ran a LAN cable alongside a bundle of 240v cabling to get it up into the loft, and the networking capacity/reliability etc seems to be unimpaired.

Reply to
Steve Walker