AC - DC adapter

they have been used as speaker connectors for years and most poeple know what they are. They are speaker connectors.

whisky-dave

Well I wouldn't use them for that, I can't see the point.

I used a 3 pin DIN for my enlarger timer.

I used 5 pin DIN on a blue circle cement project using fuzzy logic.

Reply to
whisky-dave

European audio equipment almost always used circular 5-pin 180 degree DIN connectors for mic and line level inputs, and line level outputs, and used the 2-pin connector for each speaker. My Phillips cassette recorder used it, as did my dad's B&O record deck and his cine projector (for playing sound through external amp or for dubbing onto the soundtrack).

It was even fitted on Japanese equipment such as Sony radio-cassette players.

It was only in the 1980s that I first saw phono plugs for line-level connections between equipment (eg record deck, cassette deck, CD player, graphic equalizer to amplifier). Phono plugs require more plugs (separate for left and right) whereas DIN combines both in one plug. ON the other hand, DIN plugs are more difficult to solder wires onto because the pins are very close together.

I remember that a lot of equipment had three-pin speaker sockets which would allow a two-pin plug to be plugged in either way round (ie spade connector always in the centre hole but pin in either of the holes). I'm not sure what the thinking was there, because as far as I could tell, the two pins were connected together so you didn't get phase-reversal buy reversing the plug.

Reply to
NY

Yes I know, that;s why most refer to that connector as a speaker connector.

Yes although compared to the mini DINs I've used on the early macs they are piss easy to connect in comparision.

This was for speakers wasn't it not christmas tree lights. I didn't use them on my speakers I used 4mm plugs.

Apparently human ears can't detect the differnt phase so it shouldn;t make a differnce.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I have seen a lot of wall warts with these connectors, and *none* have been DIN speaker connectors (I have some of those, and I compared them). They may look the same on a photo, but they are quite a bit bigger.

Reply to
Bob Eager

small and cheap.

Reply to
charles

I've never seen any on 'wall warts' could you show an example of one ?

Most wall warts come with barrel or jack connectors with some you get a cho ice but I've yet to see the ones you say you have a wall wart for.

whisky-dave

One 5-pin plug could handle both stereo inputs and outputs on a single connector so that tape recorder connected to a mixer, for example, could have line level outputs for playback and line level inputs for recording from a vatiety of sources with one cable although it was adviseable to use cable with four individually screened conductors to avoid crosstalk.

A radio might be equipped with a so-called Diode connector in which the record and playback functions were reversed so that the same straight through cable without a crossover could be used to connect a tape recorder and receiver together.

The original connecors with a solid metal barrel were excellent but the later ones with two plated half screens punched out of thin sheet metal with the whole thing held together by a plastic sleeve were not so good. They worked fine but were too suscepible to damage if one dangled on the floor and got trodden on!

The original phono plugs which were around at the time, though, were terrible by comparison!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Um....that was what the OP was about. And it included a picture.

The wall wart ones are bigger than the DINs.

Reply to
Bob Eager

doesn't look that big. And heres what I was talking about speaker connectors.

whisky-dave

They can certainly tell the difference if the left and right hand channels are out of phase.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Just for information, the Quad II valve equipment used phono connectors. The later generation 3 Series went over to DIN connectors - a retrograde step IMHO, as they are nothing like so reliable long term. They have a habit of oxidising and becoming intermittent. But do have a smaller footprint on the rear panel.

There are much higher quality connectors made to the same pin layout by Touchel. Which have locking rings too. Used on some microphones etc. I'd guess the extra cost ruled them out for domestic gear.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got a couple of wall warts - AC - that drove 12v spots. They have standard DIN speaker connectors.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So what do you think it means?

Reply to
dennis

It doesn't say what it means. I don't have mind reading powers. However the conclusion that it means the transformer is unisolated is simply nonsense.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Just as well I didn't say it wasn't isolated then.

However your assumption that it is is based on what it says even though it contradicts itself.

That makes your assumption nonsense not mine.

Reply to
dennis

You make even less sense this time, if that's possible

Reply to
tabbypurr

Delighted to have provided so much pre-Christmas entertainment, but I'm still trying to find a replacement.

Nearest I can see is a 4.5v one from CPC: PW02731

You would have to cut the cable from the old one and graft it to the new; those spade and pin plugs (NOT speaker plugs) are not that common.

Reply to
Bob Eager