a smaller jigsaw?..handheld saw???..

hey all I am looking for a tool like a small handheld electric saw, for cutting holes in plasterboard. basically a smaller jigsaw kinda thing. Its for cutting speaker holes in ceilings...lots of speaker holes....and a jigsaw is a pain to use overhead. Thanks for any info Dave W.

Reply to
Dave Walsh

Hi Dave,

I guess this is for background music or tannoy type announcements ? i.e. not Hi-Fi ?

So, could you not use a hole saw of appropriate size and drill several holes - not a complete cutout, but does it matter - so long as the cone excursions do not contact the plasterboard ?

Hole saws commonly come in sizes up to at least 4" (soil pipes) and several smaller sizes..........

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

You don't say what size, but how about Screwfix cutter 24300?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think I would use a good hole saw in a drill for this.

Reply to
Jim

What size holes? Canford Audio (and doubtlessly others) do a cutter specially designed for this, with a dust catcher built in.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

What are you using as a jigsaw ? A better jigsaw (Bosch barrel body, just over £100) has much less vibration than a cheapie.

You _could_ use a Rotazip. But these are a pain in their own way too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Rob Morley

Thanks Nick, the holes would be of 8"-10" diameter. The speaker unit the slots up into the hole., Cutting smaller holes and the handsawing the waste would be slower than the jigsaw.

Cheers Dave

Reply to
Dave Walsh

Cant find it m8, Dave

Reply to
Dave Walsh

too small ...8"-10" diameter holes required.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Walsh

See the thing about the canford cutter is that there would be a speaker cable already in the local where the speaker would go, this would be done at first fix, so the cable is normally left hanging thru the plaster board at the speaker point. So I was thinking a small electric handsaw would be handy... Dave

Reply to
Dave Walsh

I have a bosch jigsaw, and its a good one, the barrel body looks interenting, but again when working over your head for a day this might be a hassle...the rotozip I was looking at, can you tell me more about it if you have used them??.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
Dave Walsh

sawsall,.

Reply to
Dave Walsh

Can't see a Rotozip being any easier to use than a jigsaw - it still needs holding up and moving accurately in the direction of the cut. Some form of hole saw would be easier because you only have to push up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Try Googling this newsgroup. I'm unimpressed, some people round here like them.

I use a Dremel clone in a mini-router base for inlay work in wood. it works for this, but that's about as much as I'd want to push it. Some people in this ng. reckon a Rotozip can slice anything.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

An electric version would be bigger and heavier. Could you not just hire or borrow a compressor?

Reply to
Rob Morley

and type 24300 into the Product box.

Reply to