a smaller jigsaw?..handheld saw???..

hey all I am looking for a tool like a small handheld electric saw, for cutting holes in plasterboard. basically a smaller jigsaw kinda thing. Its for cutting speaker holes in ceilings...lots of speaker holes....and a jigsaw is a pain to use overhead. Thanks for any info Dave W.
Hi Dave,
I guess this is for background music or tannoy type announcements ? i.e. not Hi-Fi ?
So, could you not use a hole saw of appropriate size and drill several holes - not a complete cutout, but does it matter - so long as the cone excursions do not contact the plasterboard ?
Hole saws commonly come in sizes up to at least 4" (soil pipes) and several smaller sizes..........
Nick

not
holes -

do
several
Thanks Nick, the holes would be of 8"-10" diameter. The speaker unit the slots up into the hole., Cutting smaller holes and the handsawing the waste would be slower than the jigsaw.
Cheers Dave
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:44:30 -0000, "Dave Walsh"

You don't say what size, but how about Screwfix cutter 24300?
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

is
Cant find it m8, Dave
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 18:09:37 -0000, "Dave Walsh"

www.screwfix.com and type 24300 into the Product box.
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

is
I think I would use a good hole saw in a drill for this.

jigsaw
too small ...8"-10" diameter holes required.
Dave
gOn Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:44:30 -0000, "Dave Walsh"

What size holes? Canford Audio (and doubtlessly others) do a cutter specially designed for this, with a dust catcher built in.
--

Frank Erskine
MJBC

is
See the thing about the canford cutter is that there would be a speaker cable already in the local where the speaker would go, this would be done at first fix, so the cable is normally left hanging thru the plaster board at the speaker point. So I was thinking a small electric handsaw would be handy... Dave
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:44:30 -0000, "Dave Walsh"
What are you using as a jigsaw ? A better jigsaw (Bosch barrel body, just over 100) has much less vibration than a cheapie.
You _could_ use a Rotazip. But these are a pain in their own way too.
--
Smert' spamionam

I have a bosch jigsaw, and its a good one, the barrel body looks interenting, but again when working over your head for a day this might be a hassle...the rotozip I was looking at, can you tell me more about it if you have used them??.
Thanks Dave

Can't see a Rotozip being any easier to use than a jigsaw - it still needs holding up and moving accurately in the direction of the cut. Some form of hole saw would be easier because you only have to push up.
--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done.*

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 18:21:01 -0000, "Dave Walsh"

Try Googling this newsgroup. I'm unimpressed, some people round here like them.
I use a Dremel clone in a mini-router base for inlay work in wood. it works for this, but that's about as much as I'd want to push it. Some people in this ng. reckon a Rotozip can slice anything.
snipped-for-privacy@utvinternet.com says...

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID 610
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
says...

jigsaw is

Now an electric version of that would be the job, something not as big as a sawsall,.

Thanks Dave
snipped-for-privacy@utvinternet.com says...

An electric version would be bigger and heavier. Could you not just hire or borrow a compressor?