A question of turntables, amps and phono pre-amps.

Against my strongest advice son and his mum purchased a turntable for christmas but couldn't use it as his amps didn't have phono input so today we popped into Richer Sounds and picked up a phono pre-amp.

Wired it up and he un-joyed the whole reason CD's became just so popular... (E.L.O. no sparkle or brightness,dull and lifeless, just as I remembered Vinyl to be)

Anyway... he listened to it for about an hour, switched it off then came back to listen again but his amp appeared to be non-amplifying so he plugged the TT/Pre-amp into another amp (the one that electrocuted me previously but still passed PAT test) and that too didn't respond to any audio source but if it was turned up to 99 with a regular audio source there is the faint sound from the speakers then the amp shuts down.

Is it possible the phono pre-amp has trashed 2 amplifiers? When it was set up first there wasn't any problem or signs of impending doom.

Tried a 3'rd amp (radio source not TT) on the speakers and speakers work fine. It's got me baffled.

Optical, bluetooth and analogue inputs are all non-responsive. Do we have an amp. killer?

TIA Pete

Reply to
0345.86.86.888

Ignore that.... Just gone back in and switched the amp on and it's all come back to life. I think our boy is one of those people that breaks electrical things just by being in the same room at them. Did indeed all seem a bit strange though.

Hey ho...

Reply to
0345.86.86.888

'Course it has grandad, they come with your speakers.

Graham.

:)

What about my 78's?

Reply to