A messy loft

We re-roofed a few years ago, and employed idiots that made an mess of the old loft by littering it with bits of smashed up tile and mortar. All of this dirt has trashed the loft insulation, which OCD would like me to clean, and replace with new (or top it up and close my eyes).

Unfortunately Squirrels have broken in and helped me in removing some of that installation, by messingly moving it to the other side of the loft and building their nests. The place now looks like a bomb site.

They have gnarled their way through 10mm shower cable, though luckily that circuit (and shower) have long since been disconnected. Other mains electrics seem safe, but strangely they have a liking for CT100 coax - so some of that (old CCTV / DAB) has been chewed completely through. DAB radio still works though.

Futhermore, they have removed/eaten straps holding installation material (fibreglass) around two large water tanks, which I can't climb around as it is enough of a miracle that those tanks are supported, and me adding my weight nearby would certainly engage or enrage the laws of gravity.

So my water tanks are currently butt naked waiting about to be frozen, and to stop that, I'm busy building a PIR insulation into a box like construction around it. It's held from new beams attached to the roof rafters, I'd quite like to suspend some of the squirrels from the roof rafters as well.

I'm taking a day off from this and have beer in fridge. I have a million pin pricks whenever I move, and I need to think strategy. There is very little access, the tanks are high on a platform, and my arms are not long enough to reach where things need to be held, drilled and screwed.

The pandemic has supplied me with lots of masks, but me thinks I should maybe have worn a bunny suit?

Trying to find an alternative word for that protective garment that won't add "bunny suit" to the user preferences databases maintained by google, amazon, et al.

Also I'm looking at extension impact bit holders on Amazon. Reports of many made of chinesium. Anyone recommend some that aren't?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

disposable or tyvek (c)overall

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

We had the same problem without the squirrels after a re-roof at the last house although I cannot blame the roofers as it was a slate roof with no sarking and the slates back filled with mortar most of which had already fallen off.

Replacing the insulation was the only option as it was not up to correct depth anyway and what was there was compressed down. Tyvek suits goggles and masks along with decent gloves was the order of the day.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Go commando, then immediately have a shower ?

Reply to
Andrew

As cool as you can stand it - hot water opens the pores and fibres can get in a bit. Also rub gently with no soap to start with as the lubing effect will aid penetration. I'll stop now - enough ideas for what to do in the shower!

Reply to
PeterC

If there are squirrels you've got to watch out for the nuts.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell