A little conundrum for you

We have two completely separate sinks in our kitchen, each with its own tap. The taps are pretty old. One of them is dripping.

So, my question is why did I (intentionally) replace the tap that was still working fine with a brand new one?

Reply to
GB

Perhaps for much the same reason as you might get a puncture in a rear tyre but elect to put the new one on the front and put the displaced one on the rear?

Reply to
Graham.

... and then replace the dripping tap with the one you had just removed? Some aspect of the kitchen/design/whathaveyou meant that you preferred the new tap in the position of the non-dripper - or the old tap in the position of the dripper.

Reply to
polygonum

In message , GB writes

Because she told you to?

The upside is that you now have a spare to repair the one that drips:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The old tap better fits some kind of hose fitting, so you swapped the working 'old' one to the non-working 'old' one's previous position.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Confidence. You had to test that the new tap could actually be successfully installed as a replacement for the good one before tackling the dodgy tap that in the process might not survive its own uninstallation.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

T match the one you replaced that was dripping? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Because dripping cold water is free (unless you're on a meter) but dripping hot costs money, and you expected the working tap to fail soon?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Because the dripping tap is hardly ever used, and you've replaced it with the relatively new non-dripping one?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

FWIW etc I think you are supposed to put the tyres with the best tread (depth) on the rear as it's considered that 'most people' could better handle understeer than oversteer should you get into an aquaplaning situation.

That may well have been the case for someone I know who recently wrote off his 5 Series BM that aquaplaned in some heavy rain because he had worn out the newish rear tyres whilst the same age fronts were still fine (I suspect over heavy right foot).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Feet have far more impact than anything else[1]. People who've lost if usually witter on about aquaplaning but haven't - they've just driven through deep water. Getting a BM to step out of line, even with 1.6mm tyres on the back, requires gross stupidity (say high rev gear changes with no rev matching or ASC off and absolutely booting it.)

However, attempts at drifting and power sliding are getting stupidly common. Many "stuffed-it!" FB pics usually include a roundabout in the background.

[1] Assuming non-Teflon crapola from the east.
Reply to
Scott M

Whilst you were out buying the new tap, your wife changed the washer on the dripping tap which confused you when you got back and without thinking you replaced the wrong one.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Don't really need a brake pedal in BMWs or when driving in Italy. An on-off switch for brakes off or fully on is all you need.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Because the working one had a left-hand thread and so was a pain in the dong.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'm really impressed by all the ingenious responses, some of which were very close to the mark.

The point is that the taps are very old. I have uploaded a picture of the cartridge.

I haven't been able to locate a replacement.

One of the taps is on a single bowl sink, and easy-ish to get at. The other one is on a double bowl sink, and there's no space to work.

So, I replaced the tap on the single bowl sink and took a working cartridge off that. Then repaired the other one.

Now some bright spark is going to tell me where I could have got the cartridge?

Plus my darling wife is pointing out that the taps don't match.....

Reply to
GB

Available, but not cheap.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It's what I paid for the new taps.

But, still, it would have been a lot less work. Why didn't I ask here first? (No need to answer that.)

Reply to
GB

r one.

A good way to find obscure cartridges is to just do a Google search for "tap cartridge" and then select "images" for the results. You can then browse through hundreds of different cartridges.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ha.... BMW's are the funniest things in the world to watch in the snow.

Try telling a BMW owner to stick 100Kg of patio slabs in his boot if he wants to go anywhere in the snow.

Pirouette in a Ford Capri anyone?

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk