A garden Pissoir

Its trivial. A portable chair with big hole to sit on, some straw to put down after a poo. When it eventually gets whiffy, make it a compost heap and move the chair.

A container of water with a plastic tap for washing hands.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Strikes me that 60m is not a lot. But muddy shoes and upstairs are issues.

I'd be thinking about a downstairs WC - which, ideally, would be easy to access without walking through the house. Obviously, it might not be feasible, but if it s, that is where the effort should go.

After all, you are talking urine only, so you are not addressing any of the issues when it comes to anything else! Still the muddy shoes, the upstairs.

A downstairs WC would also (potentially) be a huge benefit to anyone with any stair climbing problems. (That could include you if you have an accident or injury.) And it would give you an extra WC so two people can relieve at the same time.

Reply to
polygonum

I've been through this many times with wifey - we'd both love a 2nd loo in the house, where to put it is the issue )-: There is space outside the house - where there used to be an outside privvy (so we were told), but it's been concreted over and if we were to dig it up and hopefully re-connect into the sewer, then we lose that nice little outside space... That may happen though, but not this lustrum.

Another issue with going back to the house is that the door is in a relatively open place - we don't like leaving it unlocked when we're down in the garden, so there's the added issue of keys - not insurmoutable, but when you've got a small group, chatting, etc. then what I want to do is minimise the inconvenience.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I do. And the gf says "there is a toilet upstairs"

You have to pass the front door to get to the toilet but there is no need to mess about climbing the stairs if you have a piss in the front garden.

Reply to
ARW

And maximise the convenience?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I guess this arrangement is called a "private convenience".

Reply to
Adam Funk

I wonder if there's enough water to drive a Ram Pump

Sam Plusnet

Why dig up the concrete? If it is mainly just urine (with the occasional solid(ish)) deposit, fitting a macerator as part of a pumped system, a la Saniflo, would do it, no need for broken up flooring

Reply to
soup

I thought of that after staying in a B&B with one last year...

That article suggests needing about 10psi pressure to start it - that equates to approx. depth of just over 4 feet and I have about 6 inches...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

There is a woman in the house. (And occasionally 2 young neices)

The olive tree in the corner is where we think the outside privvy once was. Note the corrugated bits near the top - seems plausable. The olive tree is on a stepped ledge and there is an area of concrete in-front of it.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I guess you've not see this:

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Can't see the relevance but hay ho. Unless you are meaning the females would prefer a 'proper' loo than pissing in the garden.

If this is going to be a 2nd loo rather than a "piss in the garden" deal you will HAVE to perform mini building procedures such as building a fourth wall with door, putting a roof on, drilling a hole for the waste pipe in the wall of the house (how far is it to your waste stack anyway? the pumps can move "stuff" in the region of 12 feet straight up or 150 feet along). Can just imagine a outside (but not to primitive) loo in that corner complete with narrow wall hanging basin, loo roll holder ...

Reply to
soup

The canoe story is pretty good too.

My father once knew an engineer who built a lovely wooden rowboat with glued joints, but discovered on its maiden voyage that he'd forgotten to use waterproof glue.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Some ideas here:

A couple of years ago in the Alsace for Christmas markets, Ribeauvillé had a mediaeval fair and all (there were at least a dozen) of the outside loos were wooden constructions with rudimentary curtain and hay/sawdust process. They were very busy but no obvious smells at all. Must be Europe approved but UK is usually slow to enact European regulations :-)

Colin

Reply to
Colin

they might not be EU approved. After all it's only the UK that bothers to enforce all the directives. That probably why some people hate the EU. They should be hating Westminster & Whitehall.

Reply to
charles

Why? It just means that we believe in the rule of law here, unlike some other countries.

Reply to
Tim Streater

becasue we over-interpret the Directives.

Reply to
charles

Often deliberately done, so as to make EU appear worse than it is.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Nothing conspiratorial about it - it's simple job creation to employ some of the millions of otherwise jobless in the service economy.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon