A Dusty Oak Floor and a damp cloth...

...is it a recipe for disaster?

I have a currently unsealed new french oak floor, now covered in dust after a bit of filling and sanding.

Will it do any harm to take a very slightly damp cloth over the surface to remove any dust?

Reply to
Sean Inglis

Use white spirit instead and get it sealed

Reply to
David Sims

Nope. It will lift the grain /slightly/, but that doesn't matter for a floor. Obviously you'd want to run the hoover over it first.

If you want the absolutely finest finish (for fine furniture, not floors), a cloth dampened with white spirit is better (because it won't lift the grain).

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Not necessarily a good idea to use white spirit because it can dissolve any grime and soak it into the wood.

There is no specific reason to seal an oak floor either. Oil and/or beeswax makes for a very effective finish without the risk of the plasticy appearance of varnishes.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes you can.

It's best to vacuum over carefully first to remove as much dust as possible, then wipe carefully and allow to dry thoroughly before other treatments are applied.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Pure oil of turpentine is better and smells nicer.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Vacuum & tack cloth?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Spray a ferret with Pledge and let him roll around the room?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Illegal under the Ferrets & Polish Act (Greasy Ferrets) Act 2005.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Implementing EC 7066/2003 Directive re Latvinian Travel Opportunities & EC 3067/2001 Directive re Organic Ferret Exercise Rights.

Reply to
clot

I hear thats going to be Part F of BRs soon. There's also an upcoming Part O, Use of Otters in the Workplace. Some people, I dont know why, think it otterly pointless.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Or stoatally ridiculous :-)