A decent automatic wire stripper.

Hello all. I visited a Maplin shop recently, and saw a wire stripper which I just had to get. It's made by Rolson, and costs £7.49. Its working parts are made of cast steel, and are detachable (spares may not be available, though). It's automatic (no adjustment required), and works a treat. It's well engineered, and is a welcome addition to my toolkit.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

I've got several - and don't get on with automatic types. The best one I have has cutting jaws with four wire diameters - covers all the normal stuff for electronics. Works perfectly every time. Cost a lot more than 8 quid, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine are similar to this but cost over £20 at the time.

Sylvain.

I was in Maplin yesterday and a lot of their tools are Rolson. I always thought Rolson were bargain basement stuff only seen in tool stores, and surprised to see the likes of Maplin selling them. They had ratchet ring spanners for £10, which look cheaply made from sheet metal riveted together. I suppose fine for occasional none car use. I saw in Aldi today the ratchet spanners they were selling and bought them. 5 for £12. Very good quality and solid and can be used on cars. See the Aldi web site.

In Maplin I saw a kit with a pocket watch/torch and Leatherman clone for £14 (Rolson). On the counter they had in a glass case a stainless coloured pocket watch/torch for £30 (no Leatherman clone), which was identical except for colour to the Rolson kit watch.

The tools in Maplin appeared well priced, but not top of the range in quality by any means, but some of it was decent enough quality. I bought a ratchet stubby screwdriver that takes bits from Maplin for around £5. Those things are handy and I can use bits from my collection, although it stores bits in the handle and comes with them.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

They sound like this sort...

in which case I agree they're the business.

Mine cost rather less than 8 quid, I suspect, but that was in about

1968. Which says it all, really...
Reply to
Mike Barnes

Well, yes. Good tools are always good value.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)