A Buffing good finish on a wooden door

We have just finished buffing (by hand) one door, after applying wax.

Oh! did it take elbow grease - we probably have tennis elbows now. But it does look good.

So I wondered if there was some mechanical way of buffing wax as we have a lot more doors to go. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

thanks. Andy:P

Reply to
andy:p

I use a 1950's electric drill (beautifully made, but too small for much else) and a "plastic wire brush" wheel in it. Although the bristles are intended to be a mild abrasive (enough to polish copper), they're also excellent for buffing wax on wood and aren't significantly abrasive. I use the red bristles, rather than the blue ones.

I've also used a Makita wax brushing machine with interchangeable brush rollers a few inches wide. This was excellent but > 300 quid!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Let me see if I can get the plastic one to try first.

thanks for this.

Reply to
andy:p

Buffing mops can be had that fit most electric drills.

Try Halfords - they are the way to get T-cut applied over a big area quikly, and polish up waxed cars.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can get big car polishing machines now for about a tenner. The one I got is 150w and probably about 10" mop head. Bought it for doing the car but used it first on a door that I wanted polishing, not sure if it will ever see the car! Does vibrate rather though.

Reply to
simon beer

Useless for wax on wood. Wood finishing waxes are hard waxes, made bufable by using plenty of solvents. Car polishing waxes are soft and squishy. The rotary car polishers just don't have the grunt to buff out a hard wax like Liberon Black Bison.

If you use hard wax on a lambswool mop it also turns into a solid waxy blob. You need bristles that stay apart.

Reply to
Andy Dingley