Subject Author Posted Replies

New boiler and flue question
We have an ancient (40 yrs+) New World back boiler in our kitchen fireplace. Serviced annually and still working well. Somewhat underpowered as the place has been extended. It is going to die...
5
5

Anyone been to RS Components Trade Counter at 'Gatwick' ?
From: 30th December Gatwick closed All other branches open 8:00am to 16:30pm Tuesday 31st December Gatwick closed All other branches open 8:00am to 16:30pm Heathrow, Watford and Bermondsey addresses...
1
1

Swimming pool fatalities
Reading in the news about the father and 2 children that drowned in the swimming pool, the mother is adament that they could all swim. I dont understand what could go wrong with the actual pool to...
55
55

Another Dyson question...
HI Folks I've ended up with the ex-house Dyson DC44 for workshop use. We gave up trying to fix the darn thing, and bought a new one for 'posh' indoors use... It's a bit like Trigger's broom - and has,...
11
11

Fuses - again
Fuses are available as 1A, 2A, 3A, 5A, 7A, 10A and 13A yet only 3A and 10A seem to be in common use. I've been checking some fuses (when I got bored over Christmas!) and many seem to be far higher...
165
165

Boiler efficiency
Probably much covered but a fresh issue for me:-) Viessman modulating system boiler. Reasonably well insulated house. Underfloor heating controlled by 10 (yes 10) thermostats and DHW given priority....
17
17

Modifying a cooker/hob extractor
My cooker sits in what was once a fireplace and there is insufficient height for a conventional "chimney-style" extractor. I've picked-up an ex-display extractor and dismantled it, with the aim of...
10
10

OT: RIP Chuck Peddle who designed the 6502 microprocessor
On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 16:16:44 +0000, Andrew snipped-for-privacy@mybtGosh: I'd not realised before that it was essentially one man's work. But I suppose in those days it was more normal. I wonder how...
15
15

New Boiler - Recomendations
Good questions. I live in a 1910 end terrace and despite additional insulation over the years it still looses heat rapidly and the heating is kept on over night. The bedroom in question is a "spare...
87
87

DVD player
Sadly the family DVD/ tape player has died. On line prices seem anywhere between £35 and £250. Current use viewing purchased DVDs. Ignoring the tape player bit, what do I actually need?
20
20

Hand held Dyson oddity continues
Because I had one that did just that. I have NO idea why just that when I cleaned everything it worked. YMMV.
18
18

Mattress Help
Need a better mattress for our spare bed apparently. The bed base (cheap) has metal tubes at a 6 inch pitch to support the mattress. Any thoughts on how this may influence a mattress choice?
15
15

Using Dab'FM Radio Abroad
My wife wants to give a DAB/FM radio to relatives abroad. The voltage is ok at 220/230 but it was made for the UK market where we have a 50Hz supply. Will it be safe to use on a 60Hz circuit? Thanks....
14
14

Morrisons beer
Morrisons are presently carrying two Little Valley Brewery products. 'Tod's Blonde' is especially wonderful. Bottle conditioned; so much better than the horrible filtered pasturised beers. Bill

I buggered it up
I needed to put a polycarbonate window in an aluminium I noticed that the inside of the box had a lot of marking done with felt pen. I decided to remove these with acetone. This worked perfectly, but...
8
8