4pin Low Energy tube into bayonet light fitting

Hello

I've tried Googling but nothing has come up - well lots came up as usual but nothing to do with what I was searching for...

I'm looking for a bayonet to 4pin converter so I can fit one of these:

into a normal light fitting. We have some very large opaque light fittings in a big room and even the highest wattage (equiv. 100w) normal size low energy bulb isn't bright enough. Or can I get a 4 pin socket for a pendant type light (wire hanging from ceiling)?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Terry

Reply to
TerryB

Well, it wouldn't be if the fittings are opaque, would it?

Perhaps you mean "obscure"?

:o)

Reply to
Huge

Opaque is the accepted term for the sort of diffuser where you can't see the actual 'point' source of the tube, etc.

They could be that too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would suggest it might be easier to go for higher output compact fluorescents with a BC fitting e.g.:

Coherers

never seen em terry. Suggest either: a complete 2d fixture a bigger CFL, eg 25 or 30w another lighting fixture a bigarse filament bulb, if ratings permit

or else you'll have to chop up and construct your own hybrid fitting.

2D and PL fittings can be used for this, or for large lights circline 40w fl tubes.

I assume you realise 2d and PL tubes need to be run off the right type of control gear.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

never seen em terry. Suggest either: a complete 2d fixture a bigger CFL, eg 25 or 30w another lighting fixture a bigarse filament bulb, if ratings permit

or else you'll have to chop up and construct your own hybrid fitting.

2D and PL fittings can be used for this, or for large lights circline 40w fl tubes.

I assume you realise 2d and PL tubes need to be run off the right type of control gear.

Oh... or fit 2 bulbs.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I've got one which I've had for some time. I think it came from Woolworths about 5 years ago, and it was probably on special offer. It is marked Mazda, but that doesn't tell you a lot as that name has been transferred between different manufacturers over the years (currently used by GE, used to be used by Thorn). It takes a 10W 2D lamp (40W equivalent output). It's more than just a converter -- it contains the lamp's control gear.

The lampholder designation is GR10q, at least up to 28W 2D lamps (at some point it changes to something else for the higher power ones). I haven't ever seen a pendant version. Such parts for 2D lamps always seem rather thin on the ground. It's difficult to get control gear for them too (I end up using control gear with a similar rating designed for other lamps).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Adapters for 2D to bayonet do exist, or at least they certainly used to exist, but they were quite bulky and ugly as they had the control gear inside. I used to have one in the utility room at my previous house, but I wouldn't recommend it for a 'proper' room. You would be better off with a light fitting intended for these 2D lamps, complete with control gear. However, these are generally (but not always) rather utilitarian in appearance, and might not be to your liking.

HTH

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry