3KVA generator prices

Hi,

How much does a modern lightweight 3kVA generator cost and any suggestions of suppliers?

Thanks

Reply to
James Salisbury

In article , James Salisbury writes

Ask this bunch they have 3 KVA and up to about a megawatt if you want:-))..

Their website is slow to update though..

tony sayer

Generac open frame models are £199+VAT.

Makro.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Who mentioned caravanning?

Reply to
Steve Firth

3kVA ? Just how big is this caravan anyway ?
Reply to
Andy Dingley

Er, no.

I have been asked to find prices for a replacment generator for a moblie first aid unit. One of the criteria is that it has to be able to supply a standard 2kW kettle

Reply to
James Salisbury

Look at the Newsgroups: line. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

YOu have to find out if there are any restrictions on noise. The 2.6kVA Generac unit will do everythign that you want but it hits around 80dBA. Which is painfully loud if you stand near it. A Honda unit suppying 3KVA will be much quieter but will cost closer to £3,000 than £199.

It's a silly way to run a kettle BTW, for that you should use a gas hob. Cost of a Sungas single burner ring is £30, cartridges are £3.99 for four.

Reply to
Steve Firth

More to the point, almost any 3kVA generator producing 500W is going to be louder than a 550W "suitcase" generator

You'll need a bike chain too. Suitcase generators are the most stolen items on campsites and showgrounds. Some people never turn them off and always have a light plugged in. They're OK when they're obviously running and noticeable, but as soon as you turn them off they sprout legs and walk 8-(

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I had to re-read that a couple of times because I couldn't figure out why you would need a bike chain. Then it clicked - you were referring to a security chain, not the one that your legs drive the back wheel with :)

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Eh, You can buy a Hilti 3KVA which will run kettle for £299 + vat from the Centre at Portsmouth.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Dawson

Right so that's £100 more than the Generac, and it's just as noisy as the Generac. In fact I suspect it's the same unit under a different name. The Honda OTOH is one of their units in a silenced cabinet. It provides 3kW, it's a much more sophisticated unit than the Generac or the Hilti, and it costs about £3000.

You can have cheap and noisy or you can have expensive and near-silent.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And sound don't alf carry 'out in the open'. It's summer time and windows are open at night. Couldn't figure why the normally quiet neighbours, behind us, had their radio/TV so loud! Wasn't them; t'was a public dance at the town owned/operated recreation centre tennis courts several kilometres away, in the opposite direction, on the other side of the town! Sound was bouncing off neighbours house into bedroom window! Sounds like they were having fun, all age groups. With tongue in cheek, must ask the mayor if there is a 'Noise by-law?' ("Some god awful racket t'other night Bob"). (-: (Yes I know smiley is other way round; for a change!) Terry. PS. Wasn't even the normally noisy neighbours across the street! Five youngsters, motor bikes in summer, ATVs (All terrain vehicles) or skidoos in winter. On the road yet!

Reply to
Terry

Takes me back to my acoustics course at University -- the unit of sound absorbtion is indeed measured in "square metres of open window", not that you'd appreciate that if you are outside said open window;-) The absolute unit isn't much use in practice, you usually end up using the unitless ratio.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

"Open Window Units"