"20 weight" oil needed for rowing machine chain?

ould be adequate for 500 miles of regular use. I doubt anyone rows for mile s at any one time, possibly half an hour -which would take you a couple of miles down hill on a real river, half a mile back up.

ntion and paddling Donald Duck.

So how fast is rowing?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

WEll if you look at the boats following the varsity thames race, most of them are on the step and planing, so its gotta be around 10mph or more

I reckon a skiff well rowed by a fit person is easily 5-6mph.

But a dinghy is probably only walking pace.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Vintage car owners often use single grade engine oils. They are available

Reply to
DerbyBorn

should be adequate for 500 miles of regular use. I doubt anyone rows for mi les at any one time, possibly half an hour -which would take you a couple o f miles down hill on a real river, half a mile back up.

ttention and paddling Donald Duck.

I don't know exact figures, but no way did I only do 4mph, probably nearer

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They are, but they're much more expensive and - in this instance - irrelevant.

20w50 will be the same viscosity as a straight 20 when it's cold. When it's hot, it'll still be much thinner than it was when it was cold, but not as thin as a hot 20. It'll be the same viscosity as a hot straight 50.
Reply to
Adrian

No, 20 is fairly thin. Personally I would use a spray formulated for chains, this is "sticky" to reduce drips and is easy to apply. Toolstation does one. That said, the Woolies one should be OK as well

Reply to
newshound

I wondered when someone would mention Linklyfe (or was it Lynklife?)

Reply to
newshound

I used to heat mine on a Primus stove in the garden.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In what boat?

I can believe that for a racing skiff, but not a fishing skiff or a dinghy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It very much depends on the boat, conditions and the fitness of the rower.

I'd say most people could row a 'std' rowing dinghy at about walking pace, given no 'tide' or wind.

When rowing our 3m folding dinghy the other day we were 3 up and a dog and *I* was probably doing better than walking speed but my Mrs and daughter were slower. I've since got some longer oars so could probably go faster on my own. Our 16' GRP Thames skiff is a real delight to row and with me rowing (3 up) was able to out-row 4 'blokes' in a similar size and shape boat (for obvious reasons known to me but not them). ;-)

I think the fastest rowing boat are the 8's and they are around 20 mph?

I'm not aware of any non-displacement rowing boat (but there probably are some).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You don't need to suffer such restrictions when it's yer wife's bike chain you are doing. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

d should be adequate for 500 miles of regular use. I doubt anyone rows for miles at any one time, possibly half an hour -which would take you a couple of miles down hill on a real river, half a mile back up.

attention and paddling Donald Duck.

Pencil scull. For anyone not familiar, they're very narrow and completely u nstable. But fast.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

House with two stoves? Luxury

Reply to
newshound

Alan Braggins

I was 17 at the time and it wasn't a wife I worried about!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I thought someone might have tried it! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, understood. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

See

where they recomend 3-in-one. I've still got some of the oil that came with my machine and it's similar in viscosity so your Woolies is probably fine.

Reply to
Steve W

=I'm sure that you've got that wrong; multigrade oil offers the characturistics of a thin oil at low temperatures to reduce friction when starting, and a thick oil at higher temperatures to protect bearings under heavy load.

Reply to
stvlcnc43

You got it right with "characteristics of". It doesnt mean its actually thicker at high temperature. A simplified diagramme is here

Chris B