2 satellite dishes on one house?

One answer to that would be "sky installers"... Someone I know go one to install a new feed into their bedroom. Rather that hook up a pair of cables to the exiting quad LNB that had 2 spare outputs and run 15m of coax, they installed a new dish just round the corner on the same building! (although first probably was 10' up - so higher than many will dare to climb)

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't see why - when the two networks I have, as I said above, both cover the house and garden adequately

Reply to
geoff

You are wasting your time geof is a troll and not very bright. The external ones also work well if you want to use your wifi in adjacent buildings.

Reply to
dennis

I think conservation areas are themost problematical also it depends on what point on the house they have to be according to our council. However I think there is certainly a size limit as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've x-posted to uk.tech.digital-tv because that is where the aerial installers hang out.

If I read the contents of the above link correctly:

"an antenna mounted on the roof only sticks out above the roof when there is a chimney-stack. In this case, the antenna should not stick out more than 60 centimetres above the highest part of the roof, or above the highest part of the chimney stack, whichever is lower."

virtually all the installations I can see from my house require planning permission because they are above the top of the chimney which is above the top of the house.

I know my last installation at a previous house (hoisted high on an alloy scaffolding pole and still high and proud) is well outside these limits.

The ambiguous phrasing of "if you are installing a single antenna, it is not more than 100 centimetres in any linear dimension (not including any projecting feed element, reinforcing rim, mounting and brackets);" makes me wonder if the modern toast racks you see are within these rules.

I can also, from where I am sitting now, see a roof with two poles and three TV aerials on the chimney (although all look so eroded they are probably not in current use) which are all above roof and chimney height.

Pondering further on "mounted on the roof" does that mean that there are no restrictions if it is mounted on a wall (e.g. a gable end)?

This all looks very silly.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Well if your plot is the size of a postage stamp and house built of cardboard it probably will. Have a little bit of land and house made of stone and things are very different.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think the problem comes from a slightly sloppy heading to the guidance on planning portal. It is headed "Satellite,TV and Radio Antenna". But ISTM the underlying regulations cited deal (simplifying greatly to keep just the relevant bits) ) only with satellite (and terrestrial microwave) antennae. Take eg the reference to a limit of 130 centimetres on antenna. That'd make unlawful the use of a lot of Blake DMX aerials but I see no signs of Bill et al being done for fitting them. Amending the heading to "Satellite antenna for TV & Radio" might be a good quick fix.

Reply to
Robin

Whatever happened to that lens system for sat reception whre the glass of a window was changed and some stick on metal rings were put on and the lnb was inside? Also seem to recall Revox patenting aan aerial that looked like a public address horn.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Odd to see the term "antenna" used here. "Aerial" is the common term for broadcast stuff - I tend to use antenna only for radio astronomy - in a probing sort of way.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

and then it would be "antennae"

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Things are very different in a house made of ferro-concrete.

Reply to
Martin

Assuming you are not in a conservation area and house is

Reply to
RobertL

Foil backed plasterboard, can bugger a wireless lan quite effectively.

Reply to
John Rumm

The not more than 1m in any direction and not more than 60cm above the top of the chimney, would suggest that just about every single aerial in this area (or any other fringe area) would not comply...

Reply to
John Rumm

When I studied this stuff, the module title used the 'antenna' word, so it's all I use.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Or covered in rendered metal mesh. I cant even reach from the office to the kitchen reliably here.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes that would make a good deal more sense...

Reply to
John Rumm

The problem with flats is not so muc blocking as the eyesore created by multiple dishes sprouting all over the walls of the property. Unfortunately arranging one effective communal aerial can be difficult.

Reply to
djc

The rules are set out here.

Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

That is a very poorly worded document. Whoever wrote that hasn't that much idea about aerials let alone antennas;!....

Reply to
tony sayer