13Amp socket with USB Charger

The humming valve radio I fixed 6 years ago had been going since 1955, on the same electrolytics. They hadn't blown, despite being 250V rated, they had simply dried out...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What current do they provide? USB changes every couple of years so are you going to change the socket? USB bricks are cheaper and you probably already have them.

I use the USB on the tv to charge stuff.

Reply to
dennis

They probably weren't made in China though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

  1. Do they all allow you to do that? Open source or proprietory?
  2. Is the cost not exorbitant? I thought Ford charged about £!50.
  3. How often are they updated? TomTom used to be about every three months. I doubt if all vehicle manufacturers offer this.
  4. What happens if the hardware improves? I would rather buy a new satnav than have to buy a new car.
Reply to
Scott

Not really, because it is so easy to change it to the better technology.

just as a stand-alone satellite navigation

That is rather different given the much higher cost of the one fitted by the vehicle manufacturer and the rather better full integration where the one build in screen in the dash can be automatically shared with the reversing cameras etc.

Reply to
John

The UK 13-amp socket has been more or less unchanged for at least half a century. You could use a modern plug in a 1960s socket. There's a reasonable chance that a modern socket will be usable in several decades' time.

USB charging is fairly new, and the standards are still changing. What maximum current is enough; how to negotiate the charging current; varioud quick-charge standards etc. I suspect that things will have moved on a long way in ten years time.

Reply to
Caecilius

What was wrong with a plug in charger module?

Reply to
Tim Watts

There's the problem - USB vX.Y is obsolete before you can cough (every

2-3 years IME for a new higher power version comes out).

So stick to wall warts :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

My last car had a built in TomTom, my present one uses Mazda's own software. You use the manufacture's website.

for what? I pay an annual sub.

TomTom would email me.

Built-in SatNav is much easier and safer to use. The controls are integrated into the vehicle.

Reply to
charles

But most people leave their phone charger plugged in and switched on when not in use - so not really any different. Except that a decent quality one built into a steel back box isn't going to be anything like the same hazard if it should explode or whatever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well said.

Reply to
ARW

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

They do this single-gang one in nickel/black:

Mike Tomlinson

You've obviously never driven a Jaguar XF. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If it can be updated cost-effectively without a trip to the dealership I may have to eat my words, as well as my Christmas turkey.

I thought the Ford was £150 per update.

My concern would be if it is not supported or supportable as I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time. However, it may be me who is out of touch.

Reply to
Scott

Despite my comments I was tempted. However, I thought the charging module looked better than a combined socket/USB charge.

Scott

How much current can they deliver I wonder? If they are standard wall socket sized I'd expect it to be less than what a real charger or power supply can deliver. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:o3lgf4$p0t$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Usually 2 amps Brian - shared it 2 sockets are used.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I wouldn't like to count on that if its a timber framed building. The external one would at least have a fire proof layer between it and the frame even if its only plaster board. It would also set off the smoke alarm well before the fire took hold.

Reply to
dennis

The one I have is an expensive flat plate one from TLC which matches the other sockets in the room.

It has four outputs. One is marked as 2.1 amp. The other three 3 amp total.

It may have been expensive, but looks so much better than the wall warts that were there before it. It's in a place which is very convenient to use as a charging station, so not buried away. Which makes it pretty visible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah they do the 13A + 4xUSB too, just the wonders of their web site category grouping then ...

Reply to
Andy Burns