?

The speed camera warning sign is often mounted upside down with the support for the bellows at the top. Is it just me?

Reply to
Graham.

I take it if a speed camera doesn't flash you won't get done?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

My understanding is that Gatso cameras (yellow with sharp right-angle corners) were switched off 10-12 years ago because of lack of photographic film.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Do they all flash?

Reply to
alan_m

I actually drove around Barnsley a bit this week.

All the speed cameras seem to have gone.

Reply to
ARW

No. Many of them do not flash.

Reply to
newshound

Since 2007 they have used digital cameras.

Reply to
nightjar

Yes but they look completely different. The haven't put digital cameras in the original cases.

Another Dave

Most cameras these days do not require flashes they tend to use infra red lighting and ANPR to automate the vehicle recognition. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

You can get arrested for flashing. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

What about all the box junction and other things like bus lanes. It is my belief that IOT is now being used for cameras. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

While I have never had a speeding ticket, I would consider the flash important. It would be very easy to be caught out on a road designed for higher speeds than have been mandated, multiple times and risk amassing

12 points before the first NIP arrives. The flash would give notice to drivers that they are on warning and to be more careful.
Reply to
Steve Walker

IME (more than once) even if they do flash you still don't get done

YMMV

Reply to
tim...

yup. They used to review and not prosecute unless you were clearly > 10% over the limit.

Then they farmed out fines to profit making organisations and it changed

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

used to be if you could see through the two hole on the back there was no camera or was it viki versa ?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I'm sure I remember a case from some years ago where someone successfully claimed that the prosecution of them for speeding, using the evidence of the camera, was not legal, as the sign was upside down and therefore did not conform to the permitted designs for UK road signs, making the use of the camera illegal.

Reply to
Steve Walker