Fly wheel problem?

I just replaced my 13.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine due to a magnet breaking off the fly wheel and ripping the alternator from its mounts. Two alternator mounts broke completely off destroying the crankcase (Cylinder Assembly). This happened two months after the two year warranty expired. This engine was well maintained and not abused. I estimated I had less than 60 hours (consumer) use, primarily due the drought we experienced last year. I have approximately 3/4 acre of flat lawn. Repair parts alone were about $500 so I paid $518.00 for a replacement engine. Has anyone experienced the above or did I just get a lemon.

40 years ago I had a 3.5 hp B&S engine that lasted over 25 years before I sold it. I also had a 5hp that worked for 13 years, before I sold it; both ran very well. Briggs and Stratton use to make a reliable, quality engine. Honda and Kawasaki still have excellent reputations, according to my friends and the small engine mechanics I recently consulted. One good note: I am brushed up on my small engine repairs.
Reply to
Lemonade