Water Pressure Regulator

I have a Wilkins 600 (1 1/4") water pressure regulator. Street Pressure is

125, inside pressure varies from 25 to 60 sometimes it stops altogether.

I put in this regulator 10 years ago. Is this the normal life expectance for a pressure regulator, or is the Wilkins a poor quality?

Thanks

Walter

Reply to
Walter R.

On 9/30/04 Walter R." snipped-for-privacy@example.com asks in part:

Could be the filter screen is partial stopped up with debris

a pressure regulator, or is the Wilkins a poor quality?

You ever think that a mechanical device might need some attention? Do you run your car for 10 years with out giving it a little attention? How old is the computer you're using? Do you do anything to maintain it?

Wilkins is owned by Zurn Industries. The link below will take you to a page of regulators. Pick yours and download the appropriate info in a PDF file.

IMHO Wilkins regulators are as good as any other brand for normal household use. In extreme conditions I've seen regulators fail in a year, I've also seen them last 25 years. I'm not aware of any specific life expectancy for regulators.

Doug

Reply to
PLUMBGURU2

Hi

Thanks for your informative response. I will certainly clean out the screen. Good advice.

I don't see, though, what I could do to "maintain" a pressure regulator. There are no adjustable parts.

Maybe I am overlooking something.

Reply to
Walter R.

On 10/01/04 "Walter R." snipped-for-privacy@example.com writes in part:

There are no adjustable parts. >>

To some extent I was trying to make a counterpoint to your wondering if a regulator that only lasted 10 years was somehow inferior and that for a mechanical device to last for 10 years with no attention is pretty remarkable.

Regarding what you could do to lengthen the life, consider a yearly coating with a high quality silicone paste lubricant of all rubber or brass components, including screws or threads and every surface that will or has the potential to be in contact with water.

Doug

Reply to
PLUMBGURU2

Thank you, PLUMBGURU2, and have a nice day

Reply to
Walter R.