water heater leaks

Hi, I have a eight year old 50 gal State electric water heater which is leaking around the inlet and outlet pipes. Is this a sign the water heater has failed and needs to be replaced. The heater still give all the hot water we need but the leaking has turned to puddles in the basement. I have shut down the water heater for now. Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
dfol

replying to dfol, Iggy wrote: I presume you called a plumber and had them fix it. But, it just sounds like the connections just weren't properly screwed-down or weren't installed with thread sealant (brush-on paste or tape). Depending on the type of connections to the plumbing, the pipes may need to be cut-off tightened or re-installed and re-soldered back onto the plumbing.

Reply to
Iggy