Want to place Washer below level of outflow pipe

Currently my washer is on the main floor of the house. I want to do some remodeling that will place it in the basement. The concern is that there are no drains in the basement and the outflow pipe to the septic is halfway up the basement wall. It would be higher than the washer by several feet. Is there a realistic way around this problem or am I stuck keeping the washer on the main floor.

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
Chris Coates

Chris,

If you don't have a sump pump and pit that ties into your drain system, then the only alternative is to bust up the basement floor, put a sump pit in, and drain the WM into it.

I know it sounds like a lot of work (it's not that bad really), but there's the added advantage of protecting the basment with a new floor drain.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

I have done this many times by putting a trap in the building drain and then put a longer hose on the washer. It will pump up the couple of feet with no problem.

Reply to
Daniel Nicholson

Daniel,

I assume you mean that you cut into the sewer line, and branched off with a 2" drain, and then put a trap in with a short standpipe. I suppose I've done it too, in a pinch, but the venting problems for an unprotected trap like that are numerous.

You didn't mean that you put a 3" or4" house trap on the line, right?

Reply to
Mike Grooms

I cant remember the manufacturer, but I have seen a floor mounted laundry tub that would drain into a pressure activated pump that would allow you to place the washer in the basement. Check with a local plumbing supply shop and they should be able to help you.

Reply to
kevlon