Shower Drain Needs Replacement HELP

I had someone come out and pressure test my showers as the vinyl pan liner had been cut out as it was holding water a few months back and tile was delayed. He says that in one of the showers on a slab, there is seepage, based on him pumping up the drain line between fittings using inflatable baloons. His price to replace the drain line is very expensive. Most of it is to demo the concrete in the shower so he can get to the drain and replace the section to where it hits the T. I am considering breaking it out myself and just having him do the drain work. It this a difficult job. Would a hammer drill and or a jack hammer work. I guess one just has to be careful not to hit the line!

Also he says that the drains should be power cleaned with a jet and that the drain in the shower is 1 1/2" and should be 2". Also, what is in there now is a vinyl shower pan as is upstairs in the house as well. After the drain is replaced, do you folks recommend a vinyl or hot mopped shower pan? Can someone help? Thanks.

Reply to
Michael Roback

On 10/23/03 "Michael Roback" snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net write in part:

Hot mop without question is preferred to a vinyl pan

Doug

Reply to
PLUMBGURU2