Re: washer drain question

Linda,

Both pipes have the same inside diameter (1 1/2"). Technically, it's one size too small for modern washers, but it'll probably be OK. What you need to do is cut the steel pipe a few inches away from where it threads into the tee. Then get a 1 1/2" fernco adapter to clamp on the steel pipe and the 1

1/2" PVC you'll be installing. Get a PVC trap that glues together and is as thick as normal pipe (schedule 40), and put a standpipe in the trap that reaches to the top of the washer.

If this design overflows, or gives other trouble, then you'll have to increase the sizes to 2" and replace the cast tee with a PCV teewye.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

You can remove the cap from that nipple and attach trap to that. Make on to the galv pipe with a threaded adapter or no-hub coupling. I'd cut and cap the copper drain. (rubber or copper cap will do) So yes you can prob make the move givin the info you provide.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

"Blackbeard"

I suppose you're right in a technical sort of way, but I have a new washer and a 1.5" trap and drain. I also don't think too many people automatically increase their trap when they buy a new washer. So I wonder if you really meant that "That 1-1/2" pipe almost certainly will NOT work" Pragmatically speaking, I think it probably would.

Also "Because these more powerful pumps have created so many problems, the new code changes (which has already been approved in many areas) is going to call for a 3" waste pipe serving the washer box." is really overkill, in my humble opinion.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Grooms

The 3" waste pipe serving a washer box is a little overkill. I would agree with you on that one. But that's what they do with problems. Frankly, there have been numerous problem calls caused by those higher volume pumps on new clothes washers. The state gets the calls...they scratch their heads...finally one of 'em pops up and says "f*ck it, increase the pipe size to 3" and be done with it". And then it's code.

didn't you know that was how it worked?

I don't know about your area, but in my area a urinal IS NOT considered part of a bathroom group. Because of that, it has to be vented separately. Isn't that special.

And here's a new one...!! Just the other day a contractor told me that a local inspector made him cover his building sewer with plastic sheeting before he backfilled. You ever heard of that one before?

And my favorite is an inspector who won't let you install a two-way cleanout. In my area, we also have to use nailguards in commercial framing (metal) framed walls. Usually we just use screws and install the nail guards. But there is one inspector who wants to see a spot weld on every nail-plate. Can you beat that one!!

Reply to
Blackbeard

"Blackbeard"

In my day, back in the 70's, the guy that got the inspector's job was a plumber who couldn't physically do the work anymore. What we run into now are engineering idiots who haven't worked the trade and don't seem to have a concept of real world/ideal world. They know the language of the code, but not it's meaning or intent.

I've always held the position that an inspector can't enforce his preferences. He can only enforce the code. He can't make me do more than the code. He also needs to justify and cite what he considers a violation. I know it's best to keep him as your friend (and the large majority have been my friends), but sometimes you just gotta fight.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Grooms

In my area, we also have to use nailguards in commercial

this is getting out of hand, no its gotten out of hand. The inspectors are there to watch over plumbers keep the public healthy, Not make up rules as they go, or invent something just cause they feel a little power.

Is this a state code? or just another fake rule the inspector makes up along the way ? I wonder if this crap will carry over into other states. Maybe I oughta start looking for a mig welder to carry on the truck too.

Reply to
Runningwater