hot water tanks

Just interested ,my copper tank has an aluminium protector rod that lasted about 2 weeks before a green liguid appeared in the bottom of the tank ,i noticed it because i had to drain the system.Do i need one ,do i need an anode connection,is the water in my area particularly bad.Seems the rod is reacting quite quickly.Anybody know anything or were i can go on web maybe for info.

Reply to
wolfie3

This is unusual that the annode would fail so quickly. If the annode is getting eaten, it means that without an anode, you'll be replacing elements REGULARLY.

First, I would check with other in the same area on the same water supply if they have similar problems.

Second, I would call A.O. Smith and special order a different anode. They make replacement anodes that are designed for your needs. Just make sure you tell them what is going on or they'll sell your the same damn anode you already have (or had).

Go to the bottom of the tank an open the drain. Put a sample of the water in a jar. Seal it and mail it to A.O. Smith. They will test your water and advise. Your situation sounds unusual. Your anode should last longer than two weeks. The green color you are seeing is from the heating element. After the anode is gone, the next victim in your water heater are you elements. If you water is that hard, you probably need to replace the anode and replace both elements with a gold-plated heating element. The gold-plate element will cost you about $30/each. But they'll last longer than your water heater.

Reply to
Blackbeard