Re: Possible failure of Qestpex compression fittings

I was helping my uncle modify the plumbing in his bathroom yesterday using

>PEX and Qestpex compression fittings when it dawned on me that these >fittings may not be as reliable as they would appear to be when you first >look at them. Inside these fittings is a plastic ferrule that forms a water >tight seal and behind that is a metal grip ring that serves to grab the pipe >and prevent it from sliding out of the fitting. And, of course, over both is >the nut that flattens out the grip ring causing it to grab the pipe and, at >the same time, pushes the ferrule into the fitting forming the water tight >seal. > >But what happens if the grip ring grabs the pipe too far back while the nut >is being tightened? I would think that the pipe would bottom out in the >fitting and the nut would force the grip ring to snap inside out before it >seated the ferrule into it's proper place. In such and event, the grip ring >would be rendered useless because the metal blades on the inside of the ring >would be pulling away from the pipe as it slides out instead of digging into >it. > >Has anybody seen a Qestpex compression fitting blow out for this reason? > > Robert >

Most of the Qest compression fittings specifically say they are only to be used in accessible locations, not inside walls. Check the warnings and instructions that came with your fittings.

Reply to
Ebo Walker

throw those comp fittings away;and go rent or buy a set of crimpers.

Reply to
jim donovan

"Ebo Walker" wrote

I've used them for many years and I've never had a failure yet. I've never heard of a failure either. The ring can not do what is described.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Bulletin Board

Gary Slusser