Please Help plumbing question?

I have an existing baseboard heater running along a wall in my living room. Behind the wall is a garage half of witch will be converted into a work room. The Radiators in my house and the baseboard are T off a main hot water line that runs around my house to the furnace. Should I A T off the base board heater then go through the wall? Or B should I use 90 degree elbows and continue the flow into the new baseboard heater? Thanks in advance for any help. Jim

Reply to
Jazz

Look on the tees. See if they have names stamped on them. Report back.

Mark M.

Reply to
Mark M.

The existing T in the basement sofets have Tages on one side but cannot read what it says House built in 1950s.

Reply to
Jazz

Reply to
Jazz

You have what is commonly called a Monoflo system. A continuous loop of copper to and from the boiler with special tees for each radiator. With this setup you can regulate an individual radiator without choking off flow to the other radiators. This kind of heating system must be carefully designed in the first place. Adding another room to the loop may not work. For more information google bell and gossett monoflo hydronic heat. I recommend getting a professional to design and install the heat in your converted garage. You'll regret not spending the money upfront if it doesn't heat right.

Mark M.

Reply to
Mark M.

You can't sum it up better then what Mark said, call a professional.

kenny b

Reply to
kennybs

Thanks for the advice. But There must be something out there to explain what I can do here. I don't understand why I cannot just continue the loop in the living room throughout the garage it's only another 8 feet. Won't the water keep flowing through the pipe. What will happen? Please explain. I am the type of person that would rather do it twice and understand why than have someone else do it. Thank you jim

Reply to
Jazz

Too many variables, Jim. No way to advise from here.

Mark M.

Reply to
Mark M.

In other words. Knows FA about plumbing!!

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

It has nothing to do with plumbing, it's a heating question.

"Should I T off the base board heater then go through the wall?"

Teeing of a branch of a mono flo system won't work.

" Or B should I use 90 degree elbows and continue the flow into the new baseboard heater?

Too many variables: boiler size(not furnace) size of loop size of branch type of radiation water temp. amount of radiation existing/ btuh output amount to be added/ will branch size support added btu's distance and resistance of existing radiator/ run numbers with added radiation circulator/ flow rate

1 or 2 mono flo tee's used (existing)

lets start here

do you even know what a mono flo system is and how it functions?

kenny b

Reply to
kennybs