New Dishwasher Leaks -- Quiz

OK, please answer this quiz and help me out. I'm installing a new Whirlpool Dishwasher. It's leaking around the 90-degree brass connector where the water line comes in. I've tightened the brass connectors as much as I can. Leak is pretty slow (say a drip every

15-30 sec.) I've been reading other posts on this topic, and there's some disagreement as to how to fix the leak. Should I: [A] Get some teflon tape [B] Pipe Dope it [C] Call a Plumber [D] None of the above.
Reply to
ZGRAF

Pull the brass elbow and use teflon tape on the threads (about 4 turns of the teflon tape should be fine). Also, depending on what type of water supply line you are using, you shoudl check that too. If you have a compression type water connection, make sure the ferrule hasn't been installed backwards. If you have a threaded connection with the rubber gasket, if someone over-tighteneds the threads, it will rip the rubber seal...which means you have to replace the entire supply line. Look closely and make sure the leak is on that elbow and not a tiny drip somewhere else that is misleading you.

Reply to
Blackbeard

on 01/26/04 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (ZGRAF) asks:

If I understand you correctly, that end is usually a compression joint.

You can and perhaps have overtightned the joint damging the mating surfaces.

[D] None of the above.

If, as a professional I was called out to repair the leak, I would start with a new 90-degree fitting AND a new end on the tubing. Is it copper?

Doug

Reply to
PLUMBGURU2

You overtightened it, if it is copper.

If it is plastic you forgot the brass insert for the plastic hose perhaps.

I favor a little lose on them, then turn on water and tighten till good. if no water then i tighten a amount of tight I can't explain, youd have to learn.

For you I recomend the Fluidmaster soloution. This is easy for DIY.

High bursting strength. Each foot of NO-BURST contains 220 feet of stainless steel wire. Stainless ferrules are extra-long with radial crimps for more security. Inner strengths too. Tough, NSF-approved polymer core resists chlorine and chloramines. Ample inside diameter for high flow capacity. Captive cone washers seal tightly, can't fall out. Exceptional flexibility for fast, easy installation. Won't kink or crease, even in the tightest of spaces. Heavy-duty brass hex nuts are easy to grip and nickel plated for durability. Exceeds all requirements for flexible water connectors as defined by ASME A112.18.6 and CSA B125.

10 Year Warranty. The longest warranty available.

NO-BURST® for Dishwashers

Available in 48", 60" and 72" lengths. Wide variety of water supply fittings available.

Reply to
Ned Flanders