maintaining well water tank

Greetings,

My question is about maintaining the air bubble in my (old style) galvanized well water storage tank. There is a fitting about midway up the tank to allow me to pump air into the tank. My background in hvac permits me to understand why the bubble is there, but my specific question is how often should I pump air in and how much air is too much?

TIA, Scout

Reply to
Scout

"Scout"

If it is a horizontal galvanized tank, you can simply drain the tank by utilizing that fitting you mentioned. Then start the pump back up, and things will be fine.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

"Mike Grooms" wrote in

Thanks Mike, Actually though, it's a vertical tank. The fitting at mid-tank height is a schraeder type for attachment of an air pump. I use the method you've suggested with boiler system expansion tanks, but was unsure if in this situation a little extra air would be helpful. It would be nice if the tank had a sight-glass, but no such luck.

My well pump is submerged and I can't here it at all when it comes on. I was thinking a putting a permanent ammeter in the circuit so I can keep an eye out for short cycles. I've never had a well before (just moved in here 2 weeks ago), so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about my system before something goes wrong.

Scout

Reply to
Scout