Is turning off water to outside faucet at 20 degrees okay?

I have an out door faucet which is fed from a pipe in my basement. The basement temperature is never less than 70 degrees. The pipe to the outside goes through a concrete block wall to the outside where the faucet is attached. I have heard that I need to turn off the water to the faucet and drain the pipe when the outdoor temperature reaches 20 degrees. Is that a good "rule of thumb"?

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

replying to Arnie Goetchius, Jen wrote: Its just that if you change pipe below the temperature of 20 degrees that it may freeze. So there isn't a thumb rule but it is preferred to be done that way.

Reply to
Jen