Is this a sump pump pit?

Hi all, Ok so I live in Maine, a little higher than sea level, there is what I am assuming to be a sump pump pit in the basement of the house I just bought. It is in a corner and the floor slopes that way, there's a square cover that is easily removed, inside the hole is what looks to be quite a bit of gravel, and then 2 pipes, one running the width of the house, one running the length. Now first off, I assumed that these drain pipes woulld be running out away from the house? So I guess my first question is, is this a sump pump pit? And my second question is, if it is, but there's no pump, can I run a dehumidifier hose down into one of the pipes so that I don't have to keep emptying the darn thing?

Alex2015

replying to Alex2015, Iggy wrote: I'd say it's not a sump pump pit. Maybe I'm not seeing the proper scale, but it appears to be only a maximum of 4-inches in diameter and just a crude floor drain that was thrown in with a floor repair or replacement. Sump Pump Pits are usually a minimum diameter of a large pizza.

As long as you can scoop out the pebbles and silt and get a good flow to the outdoors, then yes a dehumidifier would work out very well. Or, you may find the yard needs to be re-graded so water runs away from the house and permanently attain a dry basement that doesn't need a dehumidifier nor drain.

Reply to
Iggy