Humming water pipes

Hello,

I am getting a humming noise in my kitchen (not very loud or scary) which lasts for about 10 - 15 seconds, shortly after turning on the kitchen hot tap. I've also noticed it in the bathroom, when running the hot tap there. I think the noise is coming from the water pipes, but I'm not sure where or why.

Does anyone have an idea of what it might be ??

Thanks

KK

Reply to
KK

You need to call a priest, immediately.

On a more serious note, sounds like something in the water path is a bit rough, adn the water is vibrating past it. Could be any of a few things.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have had this problem too....it only occurs when water has been used and the system is filling back up again... the critical factors are water pressure, flow rate and pipe length. It occurs because water is incompressible and what starts is a pressure wave bouncing down the pipe which bounces back at the control valve and bounces back again but this time reinforced so that eventually the pressure wave builds up to cause physical movement of the pipe which causes the low frequency humming noise. If it wasn't for the fact that the system flow rate is changing the humming would continue, but it is because it changes that causes it to subside. Its akin to you sitting in the tub and moving your body forward to create a wave and if you time the movement of ur body a second time in synchronousisation with the reflected wave the second wave will be reinforced ad infinitum until it spills over the edge of the tub, however if you time your body movement after the first wave rebounds from the end of the tub such that your body motion combats the reflected wave then the wave subsides rather than gets reinforced.

If it bothers you the solution would be to fit a pressure reducing valve on your water supply coming into the house.

Reply to
live.sister

"live.sister"

Hey, I now realize from another message, that you're in England. Perhaps there are some "humming pipe" issues over there of which I'm unaware. Sorry for thinking you were a little nuts.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

consult unfortunately and it is a problem looking at some of your comments because the products and even your descriptions are different from ours. In the UK fawcet is tap, bath is tub..and there are a lot more that leave me baffled.

Notwithstanding that...I do appreciate some of the advice given here, although I must admit to only looking at the newsgroup when I have a problem.

Reply to
live.sister