hard to sweat spot

Hi everyone. I am replacing my outdoor spigot with a frost-free one. I need to cut the 1/2 inch copper pipe to connect the frost-free spigot, and it is in a tough to reach spot. I think I will be able to get it cut, but then sweating it could be another story. Another user in this forum posted recently that he used some sort of epoxy to put copper pipe together in lieu of sweating, and it is going on 5 years that it has lasted. Anyone know what this epoxy might be, he said he got it at Lowe's? Or any other ideas in lieu of sweating? Thanks.

Reply to
Eric and Megan Swope

copper impregnated epoxy. available in box boxes.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Thanks Charles. Would this be carried at Lowe's and HD, or do I need to go to a plumbing supply house? Thanks.

Reply to
Eric and Megan Swope

big boxes have it (home depot/lowes/ace) etc. either in the glue/epoxy or plumbing departments.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

its going to be real funny when you rot your sill out. Worst case attach some pex to the thing first then feed it in the hole, make connection as soon as its feasible. Do yourself a favor and stay away from goop.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Ned, thanks for your advice. What is the best way to attach pex to metal (copper) pipe?

Reply to
Eric and Megan Swope

I'd not trust epoxy for fittings. If it was so good, why are not plumbers around the world using it on a regular basis? So what if it lasted 5 years, how about year 6 or 7? What if it goes while you are away on vacation? I'd want to see a lot of research and proven facts before I'd use it.

I'd figure a way to sweat it or cut in a different place.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There are compression fittings you can use. YOu will have to cut the pipe and maybe sweat a a short piece on the spigot before going into the tight spot.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

thanks Ralph. does the compression fitting (which I am assuming includes the compression rings and nuts) get sold as 1 piece, or do I have to buy the compression ring and nuts separately?

Reply to
Eric and Megan Swope

The plastic compression fitting is all in one bag. If not in a small plastic bag, then it will be all together as one unit. YOu can get them at Lowes or Home Depot. If you have ever seen the compression unions that copper tubing is joined with , it is the same idea just plastic and will hold for many years. I used some of them in my house that had copper pipe and as it was an older house, the pipe developed pin hole leaks. Even joined some plastic pipe to the copper pipe.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

each brand has adapters.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

I would never use compression fitting here. I would never use a plastic one anywhere. The only compression fitting in house is at toilet supply and lav supply.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Maybe because a soldered joint is ready NOW. Epoxy takes time to cure.

sdb

Reply to
Sylvan Butler