Ping Tom Bell

Tom, a friend in Texas just sent me a link to this article.

Its not about orchids but it is about how an amateur botanist's persistence paid off in getting two rare plants identified as new species. (On Lime Ridge in Walnut Creek). The reason why I'm bothering the whole group with the link instead of talking to just Tom alone is becasue I thought it was pretty cool how one guy can work within all these diverse groups to finally get 2 plants identified. I also was amazed to see just how many local groups there were working to preserve open space around here. Who knew?

Anyway, on thought led to another. I found the California Native Plant Society's web site and see that they are having a photography contest for their meeting in 2009. Since you've been known to hike around the open spaces around here and take such great pictures I figured I'd give you a head's up.

I now return you all to your regularly scheduled orchid newsgroup.

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:42:52 -0700, K Barrett wrote (in article <gef8o7$ccu$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org>):

Thanks, Kath. That was a fascinating article, and a very impressive story about Gowen. I walk Lime Ridge all the time, and just hope I haven't inadvertently killed off a few rare species! I'll look into the CNPS.

Tom Walnut Creek, CA Nikon D200

Reply to
tbell