more AOS gloom

what i want to know is what caused that huge spike in donations in

2006...? or is that the single big donation he mentioned..?

--j_a

Reply to
jankey

Ya know, I almost wrote to Fighetti. I probably should have. My points were that I interpret the data differently.

1) Membership in 2007 and 2008 is just about the same. So to me that says we've finally gotten down to the hard core orchid addicts. In my email (that I deleted) I said heck, if the magazine was called 'Opium' instead of 'Orchids' and you mailed it out to a bunch of hard core addicts what would you put in the magazine? Articles about the tasty stuff coming in from Panama, Southeast Asia and the Indian subcontinent. Why treat us orchid addicts any different from street addicts? Just tell us what's hot and where to get it. Articles and Ads.

2) Donations in the last 2 years were better than donations immediatly post

9/11 and the markets sucked then too. So people are still giving. Granted interest rates are horrid, but they are horrid for everyone.

3) Just as Bill Clinton told Barak Obama to stop talking so negatively so should Fighetti. Sure times are tough but look at what you get for membership in the AOS, and talk about that. If they can't come up with something better to talk about they'd better think of something quick. Just look at the subject line on this thread. 'AOS Gloom' Really, is there so much to be gloomy about? Dump the endeavors that aren't paying for themselves, the gift shop, the gardens, and whatever else isn't speifically about orchids. I mean, really, would a street junkie care to have a gold plated needle? No, he just wants more stuff. We aren't any different.

4) I think the web site has improved, I think the magazine has improved. I think they should reprint articles from other orchid publications. They used to reprint from things like the WOC, why not now? I think they should put the index to the Bulletin in the members only section of the web page. If what the AOS has more than any other publication out there is depth of knowledge then give us the index to that knowledge.

Anyway, that's what I deleted to Fighetti.

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

Never mind,

Saw the membership link. I'll probably sign up, but dopubt if my $60 will save the world. But perhaps indicates a need for a little more advertisment to for us novices?

Reply to
eeyore

And a little better typing by me

Never mind, > > Saw the membership link. I'll probably sign up, but dopubt if my $60 > will save the world. But perhaps indicates a need for a little more > advertisment to for us novices? > >>
> >> --j_a > >
Reply to
eeyore

I am not sure where this is all going to bottom out. Not worth looking back to see which flower shows have gone black since I posted last, but I got word this week that the Southeast Flower Show is no more and the Atlanta show staff is being let go. Some of the flower shows have been bought and are reopening as home and garden shows. This is very good news for those of us in need of gutter guards, water proof basements, home alarm systems, and sham wows. Not so good for flower fans.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Brennan

Maybe events like Homestead is the way to go, rather than a show per se.

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

Ya know, I disagree that its pricey. Everyone else charges the same for less. Orchid Digest charges $60 for 6 magazines filled with features I pay no attention to whatsoever, like Koopowitz's Auntie Maude orchid history or the 3-D picture. Really, am I going to go get a pair of 3-D glasses just so I can look at a flower? I joined the IPA, their journal had few articles of interest and mainly revolves around shows in Taiwan, which I'll never see. I subscribed to Australian Orchid Review, that one was OK but again, costs about the same as the AOS plus international postage. All in all the AOS mag has a better well-rounded group of articles that may not appeal one month but over time give educational value. Their back issues are priceless if you ever have a chance to get them plus the index you'll be in orchid heaven.

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

OD is $34 for a year..... i've found a lot of their articles to be more technical than the AOS bull, but either i'm getting more knowledgeable, or they're getting a little more mainstream, as i find them easier to get thru now. (and i LOVE the 3d thing--but then, i can do it naked-eyed; tougher with the bifocals.)

either way, i read both mags cover to cover, so i guess i'm getting my gifts' worth. ;)

out a total of $25 before walking in the door? Ya think? Many vendors have said they will not return to Miami next year."<

--eGADS that's a lot--was there anything else going on besides the show/sale? i paid $50 for a day at the WOC, but it also got me two or three lectures as well as the rest of the stuff...

--j_a

Reply to
jankey