Monterey Pine Orchid Bark

Hi

I saw several recent references in orchid literature in the US for using/recommending composted Monterey Pine bark from New Zealand for potting orchids. Does anyone know where you can buy this in the US? With Rexius bark being somewhat hard to find I thought of trying the Monterey bark - if I can locate some.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Charles VanDyke

Reply to
Charles VanDyke

There's a place in NZ that sells it by the ton -literally- but other than that, I can't find any other vendor, at least not in a brief check on Google.

There's a product called Black Gold that is made of composted pine bark, but I can't find any reference to what species of pine is used in it.

J. Del Col (who uses Diatomite)

Reply to
jadel

Yeah, if you need a 20' cargo container of it...

the quantities used in the study that probably triggered this thread... Contact Erik Runkle at MSU. His email is buried in

Actually this bring up an off thread question. How do folks that continually tinker with potting materials obtain their inital samples for testing? And when they make the move to being distributors, is it normal to end up with a couple cargo containers of the material?

Reply to
pakrat