March of the Dinosaur

As of 1/1/07 my ISP no longer provides access to a news server. Obsolete I guess. I did a goggle search on news servers and they seem to run 5 to 10 bucks a month. The "free" sites just seem to be hooks into their pay service. I found Goggle Groups through the old Dejanews, but I am not happy with the interface and no access to the binary site. Anyone know of any better options?

I guess I would not feel so bad about paying the $100 a year fee if I was not staring at $120 bill for AOS awards. But wait, AOS is offering a special deal for me; give them $150 and I can have membership as well. I checked out their forum site and found you are not allowed to talk about the AOS. I tend to avoid clubs with such rules. Best thing AOS could do is sell that building and move back into rented office space in Boston. Not sure what I am going to do next season, but $60 is just plain too much.

Just saw Bob's post and I know I had better download the files and start studying, but I don't want to, I really don't want to.

Thanks,

Pat

Reply to
Pat Brennan

Nevermind.

I just realized what you said. Your ISP won't carry usenet anymore, so how can you get it.

Google groups is the only way I can think of, and (like you say) its pretty poor. But its free.

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

Also try installing "free.yottanews.com" which is a very comprehensive free Usenet provider. Sometimes it takes a while to get on due to traffic (after all it is free and you get what you pay for ;-)) but it does carry all postings to ABPO and RGO. Just tried it on my computer and posts are current.

~John

Reply to
John Varigos

This is what 3 folks at the murder mystery news group use

About $12/year.

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

There's a murder mystery ng? Hmm!

Diana

Reply to
Diana Kulaga

You might want to look at databasix.com. One of the guys there, Gary Burnore, was providing free access to their USENET feed a few years ago. Warning, Gary is a bit of a net.k00k, and attracts a following of other net.k00ks.

You can also access watered down USENET via google groups.

I've been considering providing unix shell accounts for a few folks, but I'm in the midst of moving the wife and step kids. I swear a move of 5 miles is a bigger PITA than a move from 40 miles way...

Reply to
pakrat

Well Chris if it were a long distance everything would have to be packed and 'professionally moved', since it is just across town, you can jut take stuff in the car......

Always much more work. You should have seen it when our neighbors moved across the street. Too close to even use the car. SuE

Susan Erickson

And what a mistake it is to move even across the street without getting a truck. My folks did that back in '69. What a lot of work.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Walsh