Horse Manure

In a Yahoo Orchid group there was a thread on potting in horse manure. Having a couple of horses and a few plants needing repotting I thought I would try a little horse manure. My first thought after doing the repotting was I wonder if the smell will ever diminish not that I find horse manure offensive. Has anybody else tried this? I really can't see switching over to manure but if we don't experiment we will never know.

The website is

Mark_OK

Mark,

Are you growing outside?

I tried it with an ailing cym in an inside growing area and found it almost oderless. I also found my fungus gnats loved it.

The cym died by the way, but probably would have anyway.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Walsh

I've never tried it and probably never will. I am glad you showed Nic's web site. The site, as I had it bookmarked, was gone. I figured the site died out soon after Nic passed on. I wonder if he moved it or did someone else move it to a safe place after he died? I remember Nic posting on OGD. He was so dedicated to his method of growing. It seemed that he just couldn't understand why everyone wasn't growing their orchids that way.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

"Bob Walsh" snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote in news:NOednZ9Ccu7IxirbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I may have missed some of the horse manure discussion but let me add fresh is bad as it will burn your roots. Horse manure that has been composted over winter is good when used in moderation with Cym's. It's even more fantastic when used on rose and vegetable gardens.

Grow well and bloom magnificently

Reply to
Dusty