Subject Author Posted Replies

Underperforming toilet.
The toilet at our camp is not flushing properly. When flushed, the bowl will rise, but the whirlpool will not form. After a few minutes, the water level will fall but the bowl is never flushed. If I...
32
32

deck step measurement (confused)
I have stumbled onto something that I don't know how to accurately measure. I've got a low deck (21" above ground), and I am trying to cut 2x8 stringers to enclose the two required steps. I probably...
15
15

Let's talk radiant Barriers
I have been reading about everything I can find on radiant barriers, but still have a few questions and concerns. I am not talking new construction here, where radiant barrier can be installed under...
8
8

What channels did you lose?
So you got your converter box. Maybe you even upgraded your antenna. Then the DTV switch came. What channels did you lose? Me? Just CBS. No big loss. :) I'm not sure if all the new wacky...
29
29

how to place 4x4 posts in ground in michigan?
I have couple of different situations where I need to put 4x4 posts in ground in Michigan... first project is raised garden, using 2x10's with 4x4 posts every 6'. I was planning to cement the 2' 4x4...
6
6

Built-in house vacuum.
Some years ago they were a big item here but have noticed that most people stop using them in favour of something smaller/lighter compared to the bulky/heavy hoses and the messy business of emptying...
13
13

Raccoons under the deck
Apparently some raccoons have taken up residence under our deck, we see the kids poking their heads out. I am thinking about letting them hang out, but my wife is concerned that they may destroy...
35
35

PEX and compressed air
Has anyone used PEX tubing to run compressed air in a shop? I had copper air lines in my old garage and really liked it. I'm getting tired of tripping over rubber hoses in the new garage. I think one...
9
9

Using Tub Spout with Diverter when there's no shower head
Folks, I've got a new 8 inch tub spout with a diverter on it. I'd like to use it on my new tub (that lacks a shower.) Any chance that I can use a tub spout with a diverter in it even if there is no...
6
6

Phone Filters
We were advised that because our DSL is coming thru a separate data line, there would be no need to install phone filters on the individual phones. However, even when everything was working OK (which...
7
7

Fix The Phone; Kill The Modem
Phone service is via Verizon. Stand alone DSL using a dedicated data line is provided by a local co. One of the phone wall inserts and the DSL wall insert share the same wall jack as there are two...
10
10

B&S Motor with bent shaft
A friend ran his (maybe 3.5 hp) Briggs/Stratton push mower over an unmovable (sawed off) metal standard. CLUNK! Didn't do much to the blade, but the shaft looks bent. Will turn OK for 180 degrees,...
11
11

Disable venting for 'over the range' microwave
I would like to install an 'over the range' microwave under the cabinet, in an area that is not over the range. Because we will not need the venting, can the venting be turned off? I am not sure if...
6
6

Ways to remove Ants
I have found an ant nest next to the house foundation. Will ant traps or chemicals work better, or do I have to dig deep to remove the whole nest ( which I prefer not to do) ? I appreciate any good...
22
22

Using water drianed from softener in garden
We have a problem with our water softener not drawing brine during the regeneration cycle because the drain it is connected to is slow draining. The softener is twelve years old. This problem has just...
5
5