Worth it to shut off pilot on steam boiler?

I have been shutting down the pilot light on the boiler in my Dad's apt building for the past few years, and just curious if there are any advantages or disadvantages in doing this. I'm pretty sure one disadvantage is risk of the thermocouple getting damp and being defective when its time to start up the heat again in the fall, but is there any harm in running the pilot 24/7. Is there any noticeable savings on the gas bill if it was turned off?

Reply to
Mikepier

would be where boiler pros are, I have a 1955 Kewanee steam boiler the pilot has been left on, my repair guy says it should help to keep it dryer and help with rust and life, maybe a few bucks a month for added insurance is how I figure it, and then you dont have to relight it. I am hopefully replacing it soon and the leaks I have are on the outside not from the firebox area. Leave the water in and dont flust it unless you cook off the oxygen, I clean mine before I refire it in fall.

Reply to
ransley