Woodpecker problem

The last two years a woodpecker has started poking holes in my t-1-11 siding. I live in Indiana. This winter I think I spotted the nest in a tree very close to his 'favorite' side of the house. I'm thinking he been coming back to the same nest year over year. If that makes sense I would like to destroy his home. Will that help me? If yes, when will be the best time to destroy the nest? Is it now, before he arrives or later this spring when he has returned? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
jb

When he is in it. :-)

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

I have that recurring problem as well. Heard one of them drilling one day, and went out and hollered at it, and chased it from tree to tree. It (or another one) didn't come back for several weeks.

Reply to
aemeijers

jb wrote in news:4d7d2141$0$10191 $ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

Woodpeckers are just like teenage boys who like to drive around slowly with the radio on loudly and the bass on high. They think it attracts the opposite sex, just like the male woodpeckers attract mates by drumming on something that makes the loudest noise. Maybe a mobile of old CD's will flash enough light around to scare them off. The woodpeckers, the teeners, you're on your own.

Reply to
Han

In The UK, shops have been playing classical music for years to drive loitering teens away until a new high frequency noise generator technology was developed that only youngsters and not adults are bothered by because adults can't hear it.

Teen away - Teenager repelling software

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

ugh... I would hate that... my hearing is pretty bad, honestly, but I can still hear high frequency noises like the whine from a flyback xformer in an old CRT... (a CRT with no signal going to it will drive me absolutely apeshit until I find it and turn it off)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I can hear them too but since I replaced all my monitors with wide screen LCD's I haven't thought of it. I have a pair of Nokia 21" CRT monitors that have a .22 dot pitch which makes pictures look like 35mm projections. I love the picture but the damn things are huge and weigh as much as a fat girl. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

had exactly the same problem. a few days of chasing him away when i heard him seemed to do the trick.

Reply to
bpuharic

carpenter bees on occasion. nothing serious.

Reply to
bpuharic

Dang, that's clever. I've heard that birds aren't really bird-brains.

Reply to
mm

Fake T1-11!? I thought T1-11 was fake wood.

That would make your stuff fake fake wood.

Reply to
mm

No, another one does that. He only pays for it.

Reply to
mm

Maybe playing classical music would get rid of them.

Reply to
mm

Tchaikovsky "The 1812 Overture"? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

In message , mm writes

Some make a 'larder' by first making holes, then hammering nuts and acorns in.

Ian Jackson

I rarely watch video but I watched it. Pretty good. If I were an arctic fox, I'd eat everything before the first snow.

Reply to
mm

Had one this fall---he always came back to the same spot. Finally got rid of him by spraying his favorite area with wasp & hornet insecticide. I don't think it matters what you use, but obviously he didn't like what I did because he never came back. MLD

Reply to
MLD