Woodpecker Nesting in Siding Update

Those of you who thought my little guy was a downy woodpecker--you were right!

At first I was not sure it was a nest they were building in the wood siding (or whatever you call it) on my house, because the drumming only happens intermittently. It would stop for as much as a week before resuming.

Then I began reading about the mating and nesting habits of these neat little creatures. It seems the drumming is done to attract a mate, who then drums back. After doing little dances and stuff, the couple mates and the male commences to build a nest by making a hole just like the one in the side of my house in a tree. Or apparently a house. :)

What is really cute, is I have seen the couple playing together. And sometimes after a morning of steady drumming, I see the female join the male, and little peeps come from the hole, like she is commenting on his handiwork. The babies will come in the early spring. Apparently these birds have a long winter courtship.

I am leaving them alone, and will get with the local wildlife people later on. I will probably decide to plug the hole and attach a house to the spot. Otherwise, they might just keep making new holes.

They are really fun to watch.

Reply to
cybercat

Great update! Thanks for keeping us posted, and have fun with your "wildlife project."

Jo Ann

cybercat wrote:

Reply to
jah213

This echoes my experience with the little bastards waking me up most mornings. They did start new holes once you attempted to patch one they were working on.

My fix was to replace the cedar ciding with vinyl. The Woodpeckers were actually the catalyst for performing this long overdue task. The shit brown cedar siding was SO 1970 and not 2003 at the time.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

The couple are just trying to get by - and have as much enjoyment as they can - while bringing a new generation to the age of responsibility.

They're fortunate they found an understanding and patient "landlord."

Get some pictures for your scrapbook. Then you can enjoy them in the years to come.

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
Professional

He definitely is a generous soul.

I hope the birds "take the hint" and use other quarters next year.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Reply to
jah213