Wooden drawer problem

I have an old cabinet that has wooden pull out drawers inside. Two of the drawers are very hard to pull out. Everything is aligned properly so I guess the wood is a bit swollen. Is there anything I can put on the wooden drawers so they will slide in and out without hanging to yank on them?

Reply to
Scout Lady

Quite often just rubbing some paraffin wax on the contacting surfaces will do the job - an old white candle is a good source. A thin film is all that is required -- if just a bit doesn't work a lot probably won't make it any better.

Reply to
John McGaw

Is this a new problem, an long-term existing problem, or is it while old, a new cabinet to you, or none of the above? :)

Does the problem occur only during warm, humid weather and go away when the heat is on during the winter?

What, specifically the symptoms are has a bearing on the suggested solutions.

If John's suggestion which is a good place to start doesn't do the trick, take the drawers out and examine them carefully to see where they binding point(s) are. W/ that information and some of the other data, more options may present.

Reply to
dpb

Yeah, a belt sander. Use sparingly though. Then lube with bar soap.

Reply to
Steve Barker

| | use teflon tape........................no more sticking

Reply to
Cindy Boucher

I'm not trying to be argumentative Steve BUT A belt sander would be so aggressive that it might do more harm than good.

A sanding block, then some pariffin wax or wax from a white candle. Soap sometimes gets gummy in humidity.

First I would check the drawer giuides for swelling and warping. See for sure where they are rubbing. Sometimes if a cabinet gets loose in the joints it can cause this to happen or if the bottoms of the drawers are sagging. If the drawer is overloaded it will cause it too. Eventually the bottom sags and there is a load of work to get it to function properly again.

Kate O||||||O

"Steve Barker" wrote in message news:DLSdnXepisF-idDbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com... Yeah, a belt sander. Use sparingly though. Then lube with bar soap.

Reply to
Kate

quoted text -

A belt sander? Hell why not use an axe?

If the wax doesn't do the trick take a block of wood and some sandpaper and give the rubbing parts a few even strokes and wax again.

Reply to
beecrofter

On May 18, 4:52 am, "Cindy Boucher" wrote: ...

Of course, if they're already sticking because of being excessively tight in some area(s), there's hardly room for the additional thickness of tape in those binding locations... :(

Not a bad suggestion for old runners or some other problems but not likely to help here.

Really need more information on where, precisely, the binding is on the drawers/frames, type of construction, material, etc., etc., etc., ...

Reply to
dpb

Ya, you're right. I have a little tiny belt sander with a fine belt on it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

It would have to be a pretty small ax and you would have to be real good with it, but I suppose it could work.

Reply to
Steve Barker

"Steve Barker" wrote in message news:z7KdnQGbgtwvWtDbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com... Ya, you're right. I have a little tiny belt sander with a fine belt on it.

Reply to
Kate

"Steve Barker" wrote in message news:mP6dnVb-YKlzWtDbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com... It would have to be a pretty small ax and you would have to be real good with it, but I suppose it could work.

Reply to
Kate

As others have mentioned, a belt sander is probably overkill. Also, bar soap will tend to attract moisture, so wax is preferred.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Thankyou for all the info. I got a block of paraffin wax from my Mom and tried it. One drawer still sticks a bit but it is usuable and it worked great on the other two.

Reply to
Scout Lady