Wood siding exterior prep. Powerwash vs. Scrape

In Charleston SC - hot & humid - lots of spores in the air. We scrape and sand; then power wash to remove spores; then paint when dry. Power washing as prep for paint is a double edged sword. With the TCP & clorox it kills sporse, but it wets the wood. If not carefully used, it pushes water in to the wall system that eventually comes out - somehow.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

"Monty Hall" wrote in message news:qPQJe.289$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...

Wellll, IFF you know how to use a power washer without damaging the siding, and IFF you have the right tool, I'd say yeah, go for it! But, soak the wood with too much water or get it where it shouldn't go, you could have some problems down the road. It doesn't sound like you should do it, based on your question. Perhaps someone else will have better advice; that's all I can come up with. If you do, then I 'd suggest a specific siding cleaner tool from, say, Exel of DeVilibss et al. They're a little expensive, but made for that job and with a little practice will do a fair to good job in my experience (meaning I look for the easy way, but it's not always the best way).

Pop

Reply to
Pop
10-15 years ago I scraped and sanded the exterior wood siding of my house before painting. I recently power washed my sister's deck and was impressed with it's cleaning ability. Was wondering if power washing would be a good replacement for scraping as surface prep. It would save me time - as I don't have any friends to scrape my house this time around.

Thanks,

Monty

Reply to
Monty Hall

Well,

I decided to experiment w/ power washing. All seems to be going well. The power washer's ability to remove paint is incredibly effective. The problem is some of the paint tears/tatters in recessed surfaces which means I'll have to go over with scraper as a final touch. For bulk removal power washer very effective but it still doesn't eliminate scraping.

Monty

Reply to
Monty Hall