Advice securing an Air Conditioner

A long screw through the window frame. Inside.

Sticker: "WARNING! Chastic Fibrosis Contagion!" (a disease usually found in foxes)

More fans in the computer - ditch the AC unit.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a portable a-c unit in order to cool my computer room in my condo. Since I am running scsi gear, it gets quite hot and I've had two drives overheat in the past month.

The problem I'm running into is we are on the ground floor and the portable a-c has an insert which goes into a window opening to exhaust the air and when no one is home, it presents a security problem. In retrospect, I probably should have gone with a bolt-in window unit. I am looking for ideas on how to secure the window when the insert is installed. The window is a slide-up horizontal type.

If it were a vertical window, I would think a footbolt would do the trick. Are there any devices on the market that could secure a horizontal window which aren't trivially circumvented? Ideally, I'd like to prevent someone from coming along and pulling the a-c adaptor out as well as I'm sure that'd be difficult to replace.

Best regards, Shane

Reply to
shane-dated-1126127765.301b80

An angle bracket screwed into the top of the sash will secure it. For something easier to take in and out, drill a hole through the inner sash into the outer sash. Now put a metal rod (or even a 16d nail) into the hole so it will not be raised. Easy to pull out when you want to close it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Frankly I just use a small metal angle (L shaped, as seen from the side, piece of metal screwed on. The DIY place or any good lock shop will have a variety of possible choices.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If this is your fire exit then that is a hazard.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Good point. As a bed room, many local codes require window egress. However since it is currently being used as a computer room, I wonder if it would be applicable. Of course if it is not ground floor and there is a fire escape outside the window then I would guess it is a very real violation.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan