Wood Door Refinishing

We are 1st time home owners and are just starting out w/ projects. I'm in the middle of stripping our wooden front door (the outside). So far so good... there are several coats of paint and I have been lucky to peal them off in pretty good sized sheets. I will have to buy a striping chemical for the more detailed parts of the door though. So good, in fact, that I'm considering leaving the door w/ it's wood finish and not repainting it. Is this posable? What kind of sealant should I use? It looks as though it's a good quality wood door. TIA!

~Kat

There is no wisdom greater than kindness. Lucky Numbers 1, 4, 19, 24, 29

Reply to
Jarkat2002

William Brown

Yes, it's possible.

Use a high-quality spar varnish. As the name suggests, it's made for boats. It will seal the door against weathert. The can will probably tell you how many years it will last before you need to sand it and put another coat on. Depending on your climate, probably every

5 to 10 years. Benjamin-Moore makes a fairly good spar varnish.

BTW, here is a mistake that many people make: How many sides does a door have? Most people would say, "two." Those are the people who have doors that swell up in wet weather.

A door has SIX sides: Inside, outside, top, bottom, and two edges. All six sides need to be sealed. Take the door off the hinges to put the spar varnish on and carefully seal all sides.

Good luck.

Peter

Reply to
peter

This is really good advice. The former homeowners here never did figure that out and now there's a lot of stuff that needs to be redone.

Reply to
montana