Wiring a 480V Single Phase Circuit

Consider that test equipment may be mechanical, i.e. a press or something with a 5+HP electric motor. Most industrial test equipment will be wired for three-phase 480v as that is quite common in industrial settings, and requires less expensive wiring per unit power received.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 11:52:21 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson posted for all of us to digest...

HAAAAA, good one!

Reply to
Tekkie©

That's a good thought. I'm glad to think he's not making a bomb after all.

Reply to
micky

480 single phase will come from 2 ungrounded legs of a 480v transformer. (delta or 480/277 wye) No big deal. What is the question? This is still <600v (low voltage in distribution language) so any Chapter 3 wiring method is suitable. Typical wire colors are brown, orange and yellow for the ungrounded conductors. Violet would indicate 277v L/N wiring with a gray neutral. That is just an accepted convention, not an NEC rule. The only rule in this area is orange is the high leg in center tapped delta. Gray or white is a neutral.
Reply to
gfretwell

You already said that - in (more recent years) the 17 year old thread.

As with all the homemoanershub stuff, we are very unlikely to hear from the OP again. (If there actually is an OP.)

Another speculation on the 17 year old thread was the original 17 year old questioner wanted to wire 480V industrial UV grow lights in his basement for some reason. "He is telling me...?"

Also had a nice flame war.

Reply to
bud--

So we have a stack testing company coming out. They too are requiring 480v single phase service. Not sure what OP is using but here is one real life example

Reply to
Joshua